New year, new you! Many people use the start of a new year as motivation to make personal improvements such as eating healthier or going to the gym more often. If you suffer from low-esteem because of flaws in your smile, there is no better time than the start of the new year to consider cosmetic dentistry treatment options to improve the appearance of your teeth. You can start here! Below is everything you need to know about veneers in North Austin.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are thin, porcelain sheaths that are bonded to the front of teeth to improve the cosmetic appearance of a person’s smile. Once in place, custom-designed veneers can fill in gaps in a smile or hide stained or misshapen teeth.
Major benefits of porcelain veneers include:
- Natural appearance
- Quick procedure
- Whiter smile
- No recovery period
What is the Placement Procedure?
Dental veneer treatment is typically completed in two visits to the dentist:
- First visit: the dentist must first remove a very small amount of tooth enamel – usually less than a millimeter. Next, bite impressions are captured to be used by the dental lab to create custom-made veneers. Finally, temporary veneers are placed on your teeth to protect them from damage in the interim waiting period.
- Second visit: after a few short weeks, the temporary veneers are exchanged for custom-crafted porcelain veneers that will seamlessly blend in with your natural smile. You can leave the dentist’s office and return to your normal daily routine as soon as the placement procedure is complete.
How Long Do Porcelain Veneers Last?
With an average lifespan of 5 to 10 years, porcelain veneers can provide a perfect smile for many years to come. Taking proper care of your veneers can help ensure they last as long as possible. Here are 3 tips for maintaining porcelain veneers:
- Brush your teeth twice daily with a soft toothbrush and floss at least once a day
- Wear a nighttime bite guard if you grind or clench your teeth at night to prevent damaging your veneers
- Visit your dentist regularly for checkups so they can inspect your veneers for any signs of potential failure
Am I a Good Candidate?
Whether you want to conceal a few misshapen teeth or transform your entire smile, porcelain veneers are a proven solution that will dramatically improve the appearance of your teeth. Patients choose veneers to correct a range of common dental imperfections, including:
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Discolored teeth
- Gapped teeth
Start the year off right with the boost of self-confidence that an attractive smile can bring. Talk to a dentist in North Austin about how porcelain veneers can transform your smile!
About the Author
Before beginning her dental career, Dr. Candace Bruno graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Temple University School of Dentistry. Her pursuit of excellence in the classroom transferred over to her dental practice, where she helps patients achieve the flawless smile of their dreams through porcelain veneers and other forms of cosmetic dentistry. Patients with questions about porcelain veneers can visit the Bruno Dentistry website or call Dr. Bruno at the office at 512-372-8484.